Essential Oils for the Holidays
This time of year means two things are certain – sickness and stress. Cooler weather is settling in, across the country. Kids are in the spirit of sharing…germs. Cold and flu season is here. The holidays are right around the corner and planning is underway. Menus, seating, locations, gifts, food, drinks, and all the stress that comes with it. Get a flu shot, take your vitamins exercise, etc. What is the best way to combat the sickness and stress of this time of the year? Essential oils for the holidays is where it’s at!
I’m type 1 diabetic, have fibromyalgia and kidney damage. My immune system is far from up to par. So, I do everything I can to help boost it. From clean eating, exercising, taking vitamins and supplements to hand washing, disinfecting and staying home when I am sick. These simple things help but aren’t always enough. Learning about essential oils and how they can boost the immune system and even help us heal when we do get sick, made me look at this time of year in a different way. Sure, essential oils for the holidays can make your home smell great. Aromatherapy through inhaling oils is proven to lift your mood and help you stay healthy. But did you know that you can cook with essential oils? That you can take some of them internally or apply them topically and really protect and heal your body? It’s true!
I won’t go into all of the details or they hows and whys. I’ll simply give you a list of my 5 favorite essential oils for the holidays and what they are good for. I am a consultant for doTERRA Essential Oils. They are certified pure therapeutic grade oils. Safe for cooking, cleaning and even ingesting! It’s not recommended with all oils because of purity concerns. I became a consultant because I already LOVED the oils and wanted to save 25%!
Top 5 Essential Oils for the Holidays
- OnGuard – this is an essential oil blend. It contains wild orange essential oil, combined with clove, cinnamon, eucalyptus and rosemary essential oils. It is an all around immune supporter. Its aroma is fabulous and perfect for the holidays. It’s safe to take internally and great for disinfecting surfaces. You can also kill germs in the air by diffusing the OnGuard blend in your home.
- Eucalyptus – Yep, good old eucalyptus. Think vapor rub but better. I love the smell but the benefits are better. From helping with congestion to relieving an annoying cough, you will breathe easier with Eucalyptus essential oil! If you’ve ever put vapor rub on your feet at night for relief from a cough, it’s the eucalyptus that does the work! A couple drops of the pure oil, on the bottom of each foot will give you a night of relief. A drop or two on your chest will help with congestion. You can diffuse it in a child’s room to help relieve their cough and congestion.
- Wild Orange – This is a great all around oil. It is antibacterial, antidepressant, antifungal and a great antidepressant. It’s ability to improve your mood makes it perfect for diffusing in the home when you are going to have guests. Ease tensions and have your home smelling fresh, too. Plus, it will disinfect the air in your home. Win-win!!
- Ginger – You may know that ginger is great for stomach issues. It can calm indigestion and help with morning sickness. Using the pure ginger essential oil means quicker relief (often in a minute or less) and not having to ingest ginger. I am not a huge fan of eating or drinking ginger. So I use the essential oil simply by rubbing a few drops (diluted in coconut oil) on my stomach. The quick relief is fabulous! You can also diffuse it for a wonderful familiar holiday scent.
- Lavender – Lavender essential oil is one of my absolute favorites. I love the aroma. It’s naturally soothing and calming and is very gentle. Wrap up a day of planning and shopping with a hot cup of tea and a detox bath using epsom salts, baking soda and a few drops of pure therapeutic grade lavender oil. You’ll sleep peacefully and can wake refreshed. It’s my go to oil for curing my insomnia.
I would love to share more about essential oils. Their uses are nearly endless. Combinations and blends used in different ways can help you have a happier and healthier home this holiday season and all year long. From lowering blood sugar to killing germs and even preventing illnesses. No toxic chemicals, no preservatives, just pure natural oils. To learn more, you can visit me at Color Me Crystal and check out the essential oils category. I would love to share more and answer any questions.