Baking is always wonderful, but especially during the holiday season. I love using mini cocottes (similar to ramekins) to make individual servings for my family of four, and my sons utterly love chocolate, so I recently tried a new recipe for us: Mini Chocolate Cakes in individual cocottes. Not only did they come out tasting fabulous, but the house smelled delicious while they were baking!
Here is my recipe for mini chocolate cakes…I hope you enjoy it!
Penelope’s Mini Chocolate Cakes
7 oz bittersweet chocolate
1 1/2 sticks organic butter
4 organic eggs
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
Zest of 1 small orange
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. In a saucepan, melt the chocolate and butter together and stir until well blended. Set aside to cool.
3. Use an electric whisk to beat the eggs and yolks together. Add in sugar and whisk until eggs have tripled in volume (about four minutes, or 15 minutes if whisking by hand).
4. Add the beaten eggs into the chocolate mix and stir together. Add the flour little by little, mixing after each addition until well blended. Add the orange zest and stir in.
5. Divide the chocolate cake batter into four separate cocottes and bake for about 15 minutes at 400°F, uncovered (cakes will puff up).
6. Remove from heat and let sit until warm. Cakes will settle a bit…serve and enjoy!