I have partnered with BestNursingHomes.com for this post. All opinions are 100% my own.
“Mom just got a hip replacement. She has to be out of the hospital, but she’s too sick to go home. What should we do?”
“Dad has dementia, and his health has declined to the point that it’s unsafe for him to be at home. Help!”
“I need somewhere to recover from heart surgery. I don’t want to be a burden to my kids and wish there were somewhere I could go with advanced medical care. Do I have any options?”
Do any of these scenarios sound familiar? All too often we need medical care that cannot happen at home, or is not enough to warrant a stay in the hospital. This is when a Nursing Home can come in and be the perfect solution.
Now I know what you are thinking, nursing homes have gotten a bad rap in the last few years. I will admit I have heard the horror stories just like you. We are all to often too quick to throw the baby out with the bath water. There are still plenty of nursing homes that offer top notch care. There are even rehabilitative centers that look and feel more like hotels than hospitals and give you more personalized therapy and attention than if you were in a hospital.
Enter BestNursingHomes.com. This is an online site, provided free to the public by the Association of Skilled Nursing Providers. It lists five-star nursing homes and rehabilitation centers rated by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
But what is different about BestNursingHomes.com?
1. BestNursingHomes.com lists only the best sites for your healthcare. Anything on the list has been preapproved by Medicare as one of the top in the country.
2. There’s no annoying sales center. Best Nursing Homes is run by a nonprofit organization whose public mission is to make people aware of the good places to go. It’s a free list.
3. You don’t have to enter any personal information. No one is going to contact you when you search the site. There are no emails, no junk mail, and no phone calls.
4. You can contact the nursing homes directly. If you see an option that you like, simply call the facility or send them an email using the contact form.
5. You can see what the center looks like. For the facilities that have chosen upgraded listings, you can take a virtual tour of the building with slideshow photos and videos.
6. You can review what others’ experiences were like. Best Nursing Homes uses proprietary software to get real reviews from real residents and family members.
Best Nursing Homes has been made possible by the generous donation of North American Health Care and its CEO, John Sorensen. John has made it his life’s work to serve the elderly population and has sponsored the development of BNH and donated it to the ASNP for use.
“We are very grateful for the leadership of John Sorensen in the post-acute care industry. John is a leader in his field, a generous philanthropist, and a great example of someone who places serving the patient above anything else. We are proud to be associated with John and North American Health Care and grateful for his support to promote best practices in skilled nursing.” – Amy Osmond Cook, Ph.D., Executive Director of the Association for Skilled Nursing Providers
Have you ever had to use a nursing home for a short or extended stay?